2020 Local Update of Census Addresses (LUCA)
Preparation for the 2020 Census begins with LUCA. LUCA is the only opportunity offered to state, local, and tribal governments to review and comment on the U.S. Census Bureau's residential address list prior to the 2020 Census. The Census Bureau relies on a complete and accurate address list to reach every living quarters and associated population for inclusion in the census. The Census Address List Improvement Act of 1994 (Public Law 103-430) authorizes the LUCA.
LUCA Schedule and Activities:
- January 2017: Advance notification of LUCA mailed to the highest elected officials (HEOs) of all eligible governments, other LUCA contacts, and Tribal Chairpersons (TCs).
- March 2017: LUCA promotional workshops began.
- July 2017: Invitation letter and registration forms were mailed to the HEOs for all eligible governments or TCs.
- October 2017: Training workshops began. Self-training aids and webinars were also made available online at the Census Bureau's LUCA website.
- December 15, 2017: Deadline to register for LUCA.
- January 31, 2018: Registration deadline was extended for those areas impacted by the 2017 natural disasters, including all governments within the state of Florida.
- February - April 2018: Participation materials mailed to registered participants.
- March - September 2018: Census Bureau processes 2020 LUCA submissions.
- April 2018 - May 2019: Census Bureau validates 2020 LUCA addresses.
- In Process:
- Summer 2019: Census Bureau delivers LUCA feedback to participants.
- August 2019: Feedback materials offered to participants with the results of address canvassing.
- April 1, 2020: Census Day.
- Census Bureau LUCA website:
- LUCA Training Presentations and Scripts (from the Census Bureau's website) for both digital and paper respondents:
- Geographic Update Partnership Software (GUPS) Presentation Script
- Digital Addresses and Digital Maps - Presentation Script
- Digital Addresses and Paper Maps - Presentation Script
- Digital Addresses and Paper/PDF Maps - Presentation Script
- Paper Addresses and Digital Maps - Presentation Script
- Paper Addresses and Paper Maps - Presentation Script
- Paper Addresses and Paper/PDF Maps - Presentation Script
- Review the Census Bureau's address count list for areas from the links below. The file names are identified and sorted by Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) code:
- Assistance from the Census Bureau or the Florida Legislature's Office of Economic and Demographic Research (EDR) by calling:
Last Revised: August 30, 2019