The 2020 Census Redistricting Data Program provides states an opportunity to delineate voting and state legislative districts and to suggest census block boundaries for use in the Census redistricting data tabulations (Public Law 94-171 Redistricting Data File). The 2020 program has five phases.
Phase 1: Block Boundary Suggestion Project (BBSP) - Completed
- Initial Identification of Updates -- December 2015 through May 31, 2016
- Verification of Updates -- December 2016 through May 31, 2017
Phase 2: Voting District Project (VTDP) - Underway
The Voting District Project, Phase 2 of the 2020 Census Redistricting Data Program, provides an opportunity for the delineation of voting districts (ex. wards, precincts, etc.) for inclusion in the 2020 Census Redistricting Data tabulations (P.L. 94-171 Redistricting Data).
It also is an opportunity to submit suggested legal boundary updates as well as updates to other geographic areas.
These activities allow states and local governments the ability to construct some small area geography needed for redistricting.
Phase 2 is conducted in three parts. The first two parts are an initial identification of the voting districts and a verification stage to ensure the suggested updates were accurately applied. The third stage is an additional round of verification, for those states participating in the first two stages, to further review and adjust the voting districts.
- Part 1 - Initial provision of voting districts -- December 2017 through May 31, 2018
- Part 2 - Verification of voting districts 1 -- December 2018 through May 31, 2019
- Part 3 - Verification of voting districts 2 -- December 2019 through March 31, 2020
- 2020 Census Redistricting Data Program Commencement of Phase 2: The Voting District Project- Federal Register Announcement (Vol. 82, No. 123)
Documents, Materials, and Training:
The Voting District Project guidelines, software, and other materials are provided below and at: https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial-census/about/rdo/program-management.html. These materials are to assist program participants in performing the initial delineation of their voting districts for inclusion in the 2020 Census tabulation geography.
- VTDP Quick Reference Guide
- VTDP Geographic Update Partnership Software (GUPS) Participant Guide*
- Current GUPS Version
- VTDP “Using our own GIS” Participant Guide
- Current GUPS Version (Software)
- GUPS Frequently Asked Questions
- GUPS Installation Technical Notes (Change from Participant Guide Instructions)
- Steps to Install GUPS manually
- Training Held January 11, 2018
- VTDP Geographic Files for Florida by County
- SPECIAL PROTOTYPE BLOCK NOTE: In order to facilitate those states wishing to use their 2010 Census voting districts (VTDs) as a starting point for their 2020 Census VTDs, the Census Bureau has included an approximation of those 2010 VTDs in the Phase 2-VTD annotation materials. Voting District boundaries are always held as census tabulation block boundaries.
Phase 3: Data Dissemination - Official 2020 Census Redistricting Data Summary Files and TIGER/Line Shapefiles - Post 2020 Census
Phase 4: Collection of the Post-2020 Census Redistricting Plans - Post 2020 Census
Phase 5: Evaluation and Recommendation for the 2030 Census - Post 2020 Census
Last Revised: May 8, 2018